Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Person First Please

We all have things that really bother us and talking about someone's disability before you talk about them as a person is what really bothers me.  I cringe every time I hear someone say "retarded person" or "autistic kid".  It is not only people who say these things but media outlets as well.  I have heard the term "disabled person" on National Public Radio and on This American Life, both of which I listen to often.  I, as an individual who feels strongly about person first language, needs to contact these media outlets when this occurs.  That is going to be my mission in life starting now.
Many of you might ask, "What's the big deal?", "What is the difference if I refer to a person as 'autistic kid' or 'child with autism'?".  The difference is when we use the phrase "person with a disability" we are thinking about the person first and not the disability.  I will admit that I once wondered what the big deal was until my first week of grad school.  That is when I met an inspiring woman who is a wonderful advocate for her daughter, who happens to have Down Syndrome.  She did not just think of her child as having a disability, but as a little girl who loved to play games, run around, draw, and hang out with other kids.  Then I got to meet that wonderful child who warms my heart and makes me feel so lucky know her.  
People who are referred to as "disabled" often get lumped together and it can be difficult for people who are typically developing to see the person with a disability as the person they really are.  Every person, with or without a disability, has something to offer the world.  Kids don't see the differences with other kids, so why do we have to as adults.  An example of this has to do with my little Max.  We were visiting a friend who is currently caring for a young child with cerebral palsy.  He has a feeding tube and doesn't yet communicate using words.  He is a sweet little boy.  Max went right up to him when we visited and brought him a block and a ball to play with. Max also played peek-a-boo with him and loves to see him every time we visit.  When I tell Max we are going to their house, he says the little boy's name and I say "Yes Max we are going to visit your friend".
Think about the person rather than the disability next time you meet someone who might be a little different than you.  Expose your children to people who are different than them so they might grow up to always think about people and not disabilities.

Pasta Sauce
I know it has been a while since I have posted a recipe, but that doesn't mean I haven't been cooking and experimenting with recipes.  Here is one that our whole family enjoyed. This sauce is filled with wonderful veggies and can be modified depending on the season.

As much as you like of the following:
Onions
Garlic
Zucchini
Squash
Mushrooms
1.  Saute any or all of the above veggies together.  Add salt and pepper to taste. Once they are soft, add a squeeze of tomato paste and mix.  Then add a can or two of crushed/diced tomatoes.
2.  Add spinach if desired and wilt.  Add a splash of red wine vinegar for added brightness.
3.  Chop some basil and add right before serving.  

Max likes this with quinoa pasta or alone as a soup.

And now for a few photos of Mr. Max.
 Max likes to be funny and put his lego box on his head.  
The only difficulty he has is trying to then get it off.
Max and his buddy Riley.  Both really want to go outside.

Such a handsome little man!

Cooperation is how the two got the pumpkins and the squash back to the car. 
 I wish my videos of them giggling together worked.

1 comment: